Date, Context and Theme
This sura continues the theme of warning the Meccans against rejecting Muhammad and the word of Allah. One of the main themes seems to be that you can still see the towns that were judged and so you can know that Allah will judge you.
vv. 1-18, The Meccans are rejecting the Qur’an.
vv. 19-25, Allah has given them so many good things.
vv. 26-44, But the Meccans are following the way of Satan and will go to hell.
vv. 45-48, While the Muslims will go to paradise.
vv. 49-50, Muhammad is to announce this message, ie, vv. 26-48.
vv. 51-77, The example of Abraham, Lot and the judgement of Sodom and Gomorrah which can be seen now.
vv. 78-79, The example of the people who lived in a forest and were judged and can be seen now.
vv. 80-84, The example of the judgement of the people of Al-Hijr which can be seen now.
vv. 85-99, The application of all this for Muhammad.
What I found interesting.
1. I found it interesting that the Qur’an says you can see where Allah has judged other towns (Sodom, the forest town, and Al-Hijr). I assume that this means that there were old towns around Muhammad and there were stories associate with them as to how they met their demise.
2. The Qur’an is called a “Reminder” and Muhammad a madman.
And they say: O thou unto whom the Reminder is revealed, lo! thou art indeed a madman! 15:6
Lo! We, even We, reveal the Reminder, and lo! We verily are its Guardian. 15:9
3. The words of Satan are interesting. Allah creates Adam from mud and then commands all his angels to bow down before Adam. Satan refuses and it seems that his reason is a very monotheistic reason.
He said: I am not one to prostrate myself unto a mortal whom Thou hast created out of potter's clay of black mud altered! 15:33
Satan’s answer seems correct but there may well be a good explanation for this.
4. Again we see that the earlier prophets are made to address the issues that Muhammad has with the Meccans.
And bring thee the Truth, and lo! we are truth-tellers. 15:64
5. Here is a reference to the Qur’an being mistreated by the Meccan. Therefore it is not only the unfaithful Christians and Jews who have mistreated their scriptures.
Those who break the Qur'an into parts. 15:91
6. Again we see that in all the story that are told there are very few details.